Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lady and the Tramp--OR Maddie and Ted
















To save space I will write in some short incomplete sentences.
Well, there is this cute little dog Maddie. Little Maddie came into, what is referred to in many different ways, but we will just say it is a condition where little puppies are able to be created. O.K. so the Momma of our house (Sharlene) leaves for Chicago when this condition begins. Then the Dad of the house (Me) gets back home.

The Backyard fence has been "under construction" for several months. It is not perfect but it has kept little Miss "able to conceived" contained. Well, one afternoon Dad goes home to take Maddie on a ride to Great Bend. The backyard is empty. No Maddie! (I may give more details of what goes on between this moment in time and the next paragraph, but just not now)
About 10 minutes later Maddie is located running with a big yellow or golden lab. I grab her and get her into the car. He tries to get in too. He is not welcome.

Well about a week goes by. Last Sunday morning Maddie and I are coming back from our walk and ride and who is walking around our house? The big yellow, golden lab. (The Tramp) I carry Maddie into the house. We go out to go to church. He (The Tramp) is lying on the front porch. We come home from church, he is still on the front porch. We go for a ride in the afternoon. He is on the front porch when we leave and ON THE BACK PORCH WHEN WE GET HOME!! There is another story about him digging in. (Which may come later) But I think he had worked the gate open. Mandie and Josh's dog did that. Anyway- - He had to go out side the fence. Then he tried to chew the gate open. Oh, I may not have mentioned Maddie may still have smelled good.
Sunday night he spends the night under the evergreen bush. He wants to go on a walk with Maddie (and me) Monday morning, but does not get to. He stays at our house all day. I take Sharlene to Dr. in Holdrege. We get home late in the evening - he is still there.

Well, he is a beautiful dog. He has a very sweet face. He is gentle. He is very calm. He was helping me unload the van last night and I told him, "I can't call you Tramp. You are too pretty. I will call you Ted." He stared at me and seemed to understand. I also thought, he seems so smart. I will ask him to sit. "Sit" I said. Sit he did. He sat down, leaned back, brought up his front paws and said, Look at me!. I think he then said, "Can I stay?"

So he is kind of growing on me. I find out through Hollie at work who his owner might be. I go home at 5:30 to get Sharlene's mail and when I come home from the Post Office he is not there. I was getting kind of sad feeling. I look across the street and coming from the courthouse is Ted. He makes is across the street with his tail a waggin'. He is glad to see me too!

Don't get ahead of yourself folks. As I was getting more things out of the car someone pulled up in front of the house. They were not Ted's owner, but they knew him. They knew his name was really Joe. Hollie had told me that too. They knew he was a real sweet dog. They were going to have supper with Ted's owner at the Horsehoe. Ted's owner did not want him. They thought they might.

Well, Sharlene and I went to a school program last night. When we left my Ted was wagging his tail and standing in the front yard. When we came back he was gone. He did not greet Maddie and I at 6:00 this morning at walk time, so I guess he is really gone. Yes, I kind of miss him.
I did get his picture. He was sure a sweet dog. I learned a few things from Ted. First to listen to my wife. She did not think the fence was the greatest. Secondly, determined dogs can do about anything. She told me that too. (Especially when there is a female in that certain condition). A person can fall in love with a dog, and even other people, in a very short period of time. And once again, appreciate and treasure time you have with others, no matter how small it may seem. And appreciate the things we have.
I am glad I got a picture.










4 comments:

Sharlene said...

I LOVE IT! I agree - Tramp (that's my name for him) was a polite, friendly and WELL-BEHAVED dog. Let me tell you, I was TEMPTED to say "why don't we just keep him?"

I must say I like the part about listening to your wife. Sometimes I do know what I am talking about.

Sole Doc said...

snap (implied) with the "Sometimes I do know what I am talking about..." Hee-hee. Sorry you didn't decide to keep him. You're a cute storyteller, Keesee. A joy for the grands, no doubt. I love your love for all.

Kimberly said...

I admit, I jumped ahead in my conclusions - I thought Tramp, no Ted, no Joe was a permanent resident at the Keesee home. Made me a little sad when I read he wasn't! I think Maddie would have liked the extra four-legged friend.
I am so glad you are blogging Bob -you can spin a yarn!

Amanda said...

i thought u were going to adopt him! : )

haha