Friday, August 27, 2010

My Name



I think that I have been told that my older brother John was named after our Great Grandfathers, John Keesee and Eli Haskett. My middle name is the same as my Dad's. Our name gives others something to call us and it is something that when we hear it we understand that we are being called.

I get questions sometimes about my name. "Do you want to be called Bob or Robert." I am sometimes asked. I usually explain that I think if my Mom introduced me to someone my name was Robert. If my Dad was the one who was presenting me to someone, my name was Bob. I remember a very scary day when I was enrolling in Junior High School (that was what it was called back then) my Mom was asked the question of what I wanted to be called. We looked at each other and said Robert. So nearly everyone who went to school with me from that time on called me Robert. Coaches usually call you by your last name, so the boys I was on the football or basketball team with called me Keesee. When I was in college, most people called me Keesee. My Grandma Keesee called me Bobby. I still have some of my cousins that call be Bobby. Megan and Clint sometimes call me Bobby. Sharlene calls me Bob and Honey, of course, and sometimes other things that we will not go into now. I bet my Dad introduced her to me. I have been called a plethora of names including Koozie, Kooz, Keez and Bert. Kandi, who works with me in the afternoon, just calls me Boss. My girls call me Dad and Daddy. All of the names mean something special to me.

Now, I guess, I am acquiring a new name. It is Pappy. I am a grandpa, being called Pappy. That is pretty cool and so is the sweet little one who is the reason I have the new name.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

We're just now finally reading this, and Chloe's sitting on my lap saying, "Pappy! Pappy!" Love you.