Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009

This post has been rated I




This was a kind of different Father's Day.



I do not know if it was the only time, but it may have been one of the very few times in 30 years that I have not had one of my girls with me on Father's Day. I guess it was my own choice that things happened this way but it was very different. I was able to talk to Annie, Pamela and Jacqueline on the phone. I talked to my sweetheart wife, who was the other half in making me a Dad. So I know, like times when we have been together, that I was loved. I will try harder next year to be with someone when my day comes.



I did put on my most conservative Hiwaiian Shirt in honor of my daughters for the afternoon. I usually get comments about the shirts when I wear them, so I thought today would be a good day to put one on. In honor of myself, I have not done the day's dishes yet. They will wait until tomorrow when it is not my special day.



On a scale of 1-10 I may not be very high but I would not be the father that I am without a few other factors in my life. First, I grew up in a home where respect, love and family meant something. I think my home and heritage helps me as a Dad. Secondly, we have three daughters who love their parents and were easily molded and have become beautiful young women of whom I am very proud. And thirdly I am an o.k. Dad because of the helper that lives with me. Sharlene is the rock that helps me be a better man. I have said it many times and I mean every single syllable: I hate to think where I might be if Sharlene and I had not met and married. She is the blessing! Whoever I am I owe to her. And lastly, God has blessed me so much. He has blessed me with my heritage, my girls and my wife. He has blessed me by taking care of us all.



I heard a man say on the radio yesterday that the richest men in the world were the ones who get to be called Dad. Man, I am rich!!



This one is mine, "Four of the greatest words I can ever hear are, I Love You, Dad."
I am very blessed, my girls tell me that all the time.



And one other note...This was my first father's day without my Dad. You know, I really am o.k., I just miss him a lot. He enjoyed his kids so much. It did not matter if it was Father's Day or just June 21. He loved to be with each of the kids who called him Dad.



I had a nice father's day. It was not the same as when surrounded by my girls, or to be with my own Dad, but I was able to count my blessings and that was o.k.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Rated I? I think maybe we should lean toward T if we're being honest. Sorry we weren't with you. Won't try to repeat that one. Love you buckets! You're pretty wonderful!

Kimberly said...

Very nice, Bob. I admire you as a Dad. You have three wonderful, Godly daughters and a Sweetheart of a wife who loves God too! Blessed!

PS, God Loves You said...

I loved this post! Keep writing them!